Sunday, September 12, 2010

Batman blows off

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=4033746
5.4m
54:39


Um, so where are you? It's 6:30am; I'm here. Stretch. Pace. Okay, so I'm going to get my Shuffle.

I just grabbed my music, a coupla cashews and dried cranberries, and hid my keys again. You're not here, so I'm running without you. Sigh. Was really looking forward to the companionship. Plus, I planned my day around a 6:30am run and skipped running with Andrew along the Charles. Maybe this is better - I need to be able run solo since it's not like you'll be running Tufts with me.

It's a tad chilly out. Should I have worn gloves?? I'm not ready for cold runs. Unbelievably, as I type my hands are still cool.

For a while, I ran with my thoughts - headphones on, music off. I miss running for the pure enjoyment of it. On Sundays I like to run with a vague idea of where I'll go, and allowing detours down pretty streets. But last night I mapped a route and stuck to it today. No stopping for anything - not even traffic (love early runs for this reason!). And luckily my shoe didn't come untied until I was stretching after the run! I did slow while I blew my nose twice 'cause I haven't figured out how to breathe hard, run, and blow at the same time. That could just get messy.

The home stretch down Mass Ave was tough through Arlington. I imagined someone coming up beside me, taking my hand, and pulling me along for a bit. Then a woman walking by smiled and said hello genuinely, and a squirrel ran with me - leading the way. I turned on my music and pushed through.

Jen, you can do this, I thought. And I did.

1 comment: